guest post by Hanna, cross-posted at ...fly over me, evil angel... if you missed the first two, read installment one and installment two.
a quick review from last week saturday: in the spirit of "don't complain about something if you're not prepared to do it better," i noticed over the past couple of weeks two lists -- one from wired and one from a blog i know not of called ink-stained amazon which i have to say is beautiful to look at it -- that both purport to be 'essential lists' of 'geek culture' quotes.
okay, so the wired list starts off with monty python and the holy grail and the amazon list includes the sarah jane adventures -- but i'm still not wildly impressed with either one.
i figured i could do better.
then i thought about it and realised that, on my own, i didn't have the time to do better so i roped in my ever-patient girlfriend to help me do better. :)
first off, a couple of notes:
1. this is for fun. if you're not amused, go read something else. i won't be offended, promise. that being said, suggestions and additions (politely phrased!) are welcome in the comments. but keep in mind this is installation 1 of 4! not everything will fit in here.
2. these are probably mostly going to be dredged out of my memory, anna's memory, imdb, or official show/movie sites. inaccuracy is, therefore, almost inevitable. not to mention repetition of shows or characters. if this annoys you-- well, make your own list. :)
3. i'm not aiming for some kind of "worst to best" or "best to worst" list. they're here because the two people making the list think they're fun or because one of us was able to strong-arm the other into including them. brief context is provided where anna or i thought it was necessary.
5. i am aiming for 4 posts of 25 quotes each over the next 4 weeks. tune in each friday/saturday for your new installment! and here's the link to the first post and to the second...
okay, and that being said...
1. Madame Klara Goteborg: "I may have been a distraction to men -- never a burden!" Journey to the Center of the Earth.
2. The Doctor: "What's wrong with this jumper?!" Doctor Who, several episodes from Christopher Eccleston's sole (bastard) season.
3. Eddie Izzard: "I grew up in Europe...where the history comes from." Dress to Kill.
4. Pennywise: "Everything floats down here." It.
5. Ianto Jones: "Lots of things you can do with a stopwatch." Torchwood, "They Keep Killing Suzie."
6. Peasant: "Help! Help! I'm being oppressed!" Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
7. Nanami Kiryuu: "Oneeeee-samaaaaaaaaaaa...." Shoujo Kakumei Utena, more episodes than I like to remember.
8. Jake of New York: "Go, then. There are other worlds than these." The Gunslinger.
9. Bernard Woolley: "It used to be said that there were two types of chairs for two types of ministers. One sort folded up instantly; the other went round and round in circles." Yes, Minister, "Election Night."
10. Dave Lister: "Look out, Earth! The slime's comin' home!" Red Dwarf, "The End."
11. Sarah: "You have no power over me." Labyrinth.
12. The Ood: "Your song is coming to an end." Doctor Who, "The Planet of the Ood."
13. Sally: "I feel there's something in the wind / That feels like tragedy's at hand..." The Nightmare Before Christmas.
14. Tom Servo: "If you get near a song, play it!" Mystery Science Theatre 3000, "Mr. B Natural."
15. Jeff Slater: "We're entering a weird area, here." Tootsie.
16. Bernadette: "I've said it before and I'll say it again -- no more fuckin' Abba!" Priscilla: Queen of the Desert.
17. Leia Organa: "Aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?" Star Wars: A New Hope.
18. Don Logan: "You've got lovely eyes, Deedee. They real?" Sexy Beast.
19. Mau: "Does not happen!" Nation.
20. Granny Weatherwax: "I can't be havin' with this." More or less any of the Witches books in the Discworld series: Wyrd Sisters, Witches Abroad, Lords and Ladies, etc.
21. Kyle Broflowski: "I learned something today..." Any episode of South Park between the 1st and 8th seasons...'cause that's as far as I've seen!
22. Ray: "One gay beer for my gay friend and one normal beer for me 'cause I'm normal." In Bruges.
23. The It Man: "It's...." Monty Python's Flying Circus.
24. Captain Jack Harkness: "Who looks at a screwdriver and thinks, 'That could be more sonic?'" Doctor Who, "The Empty Child."
25. Sullah and Indiana Jones: "What are you going to do?" "I don't know -- I'm makin' this up as I go." Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost Ark.