~oOo~

2011-08-07

harpy fortnight: yes it's been a month edition


St. Mary of the Angels and Martyrs (Rome)
 As a side note, I love the fact that when you Google "scary angels" now, the preponderance of results are weeping angels from Doctor Who.

And no, I will not be posting pictures of them here. What holds the image of an angel becomes itself an angel, so forth and so on. Best not to take chances.

And yes, that all really is a distraction to keep you from remarking upon the fact that it's been a month since I posted a round-up of Harpy links. Blame the weather, the fact it's our busy season at the MHS, or whatever else you like. Peas!

Anyway. On to the stuff I have managed to write.
  • Roughly half my posts in the past month have been installments of my live-blogging series for Jessica Yee's Feminism For Real. I've now blogged about eight chapters, and you can read them all by clicking through to the series tag.
  • I shared some posts from around the interwebs that all dealt with the question of social judgement (about weight, sexual activity, the lack of sexual activity, etc.)
  • I offered a recipe for olive oil and merlot cookies -- I know it sounds strange, but believe me when I say that I have made forever-friends with people from New Jersey to Maine with this recipe. You will want to try it at least once.
  • For Poetry Saturdays I offered one of my favorites by Carl Sandburg.
  • I linked to one of Hanna's recent posts about the new bicycle-sharing program that has just started up in Boston, which led to...
  • ...a proposal to have Hanna, Lola and Minerva guest-blog at Harpyness during the month of August.
  • I reviewed a new book about marriage and family creation customs around the world.
  • At the request of Harpy reader MischiefManager I wrote a blog post about routine weigh-ins at the doctor's office and how the practice can be a barrier to health care access.
  • And I wrote a letter to Zipcar about their latest marketing campaign which uses our unhealthy obsession with dieting to encourage folks to cut back on their carbon emissions.
July was a bit of a sleepy month for the Harpies, but we did have some great posts on gender identity, polygamy, hair, parenting and children's weight, street harassment, and the four humors.

Click on over to explore -- and check out Minerva's our first guest posts of the month!

1 comment: